CHEMISTRY - II YEAR
LAQ’s: (8 Marks)
- Give the applications of Kohlrausch’s law of independent migration of ions.
- Discuss the effect of temperature on the rate of a reaction. Derive necessary equations in this context.
- How is ammonia manufactured by Haber’s process? Explain the reactions of ammonia with
- a) ZnSO4(aq) b) CuSO4(aq) c) AgCl(s)
- Explain in detail the manufacture of sulphuric acid by contact process.
- How is ozone prepared from oxygen? Explain its reaction with
- a) Pbs b) KI c) Hg d) Ag
- How is chlorine prepared by electrolytic method? Explain its reaction with
- a) NaOH b) NH3 under different conditions
- How are XeF2, XeF4and XeF6 prepared? Explain their reaction with water? Discuss their structures?
- Explain the mechanism of Nucleophilic bimolecular substitution (SN2) reaction with one example.
- With a suitable example write equations for the following:
- i) Kolbe’s reaction ii) Reimer-Tiemann reaction iii) Williamsons ether synthesis (iv) Etherification reaction
- Describe the following
- i) Acetylation ii) Cannizaro reaction iii) Cross aldol condensation iv) Decarboxylation
- Complete the following conversions: Aniline to i) Fluor benzene ii) Cyan benzene
- Explain the following terms. Give an exmple of the reaction in each case.
- i) Cyanohydrin ii) Acetal iii) Semicarbazone iv) Albol v) Hemiacetal vi) Oxime
- How are the following conversions carried in not more than two steps?
- i) Ethanol to 3 - hydrooxybutanal ii) Bromobenzen to 1 - Phenyl ethanol
iii) Benzaldehyde to a - Hydroxyphenylacetic acid iv) Benzaldehyde to benzophenone
- Explain following with examples ?
- i) Sandmeyer reaction (ii) Gatterman reaction (iii) Friedel -Crafts reaction (iv) Hinsberg’s reaction
SAQ’s: (4 Marks)
- Derive Bragg’s equation.
- Calculate the efficiency of packing in case of a metal body centered cubic crystal?
- Describe the two main types of semi conductors and contrast their conduction mechanis
- What is meant by positive deivations from Raoult’s law and how is the sign of DmixH related to positive deviation from Raoult’s law?
- A solution of glucose in water is labled as 10% w/w. What would be the molality of the solution?
- If the osmotic pressure of glucose solution is 1.52 bar at 300k. What would be its concentraction if
R = 0.083L bar mol-1 K -1 ?
- Vapour pressure of water at 293K is 17.535mm Hg. Calculate the vapour pressure of the solution at 293K when 25g of glucose is dissolved in 450g of water.
- What are galvanic cell? Explain the working of a galvanic cell with a neat sketch taking Daniel cell as example.
- What are fuel cells ? How are they different from galvanic cell? Give the construction of H2, O2fuel cell.
- What is metallic corrosion? Explain it with respect to iron corrosion.
- Give the different types of batteries and explain the construction and working of each type of battery.
- State and explain Nernst equation with the help of a metallic electrode and a non-metallic electrode.
- What is electrolysis? Give Faraday’s first law of electrolysis.
- What is half-life (t ½) of a reaction? Derive an equation which describes the effect of rise of temperature (T) on the rate constant (k) of a reaction.
- Describe the salient features of the collision theory of reaction rates of bimolecular reactions.
- What is “molecularity” of a reaction ? How is it different from the ‘order’ of a reaction? Name one biomolecular and one trimolecular gascous reaction?
- Describe an integrated rate equation for a first order reaction?
- 18. Calculate the emf of the cell with the cell reaction Ni(s)+ 2Ag+ (0.002M) Ni2+(0.160M) + 2Ag(s) E0cell =1.05 V.
- What are different types of adsorption? Give any four differences between characeristics of these different types.
- What is catalysis? How is catalysis classified? Give two example for each type of catalysis.
- How are colloids classified on the basis of interaction between dispersed phase and dispersion medium?
- What are micelles? Discuss the mechanism of micelles formation and cleaning action of soap?
- What are emulsions? How are they classified? Describe the application of emulsions.
- Define Gold number.
- Explain Zone refining
- Giving examples to differentiate roasting and calcination.
- Explain the extraction of zinc from zinc blende.
- Explain the purification of sulphide ore by forth floatation method?
- How is copper extracted from copper pyrites?
- Explain the structures of (a) BrF5 and (b) IF7.
- What are interhalogen compounds? Give some examples to illustrate the definition. How are they classified?
- Write the characteristics properties of transition elements.
- What is lanthanoid contraction? What are the consequences of lanthanoid contraction?
- Describe the preparation of potassium dichromate from iron chromite ore.
- Give the geometrical shape of the following complex entities. (i) [Co(NH3)6]3+(ii) [Ni (CO)4] (iii) [Pt Cl4]2- and (iv) [Fe (CN6)]4- .
- Using IUPAC norms write the systematic names of the following (i) [Co (NH3)6]Cl3(ii) [Pt (NH3)2 Cl (NH2 CH3)] Cl (iii) [Ti (H2O)6]3+ (iv) [NiCl4]2-
- Discuss the nature of bonding and magnetic behaviour in the following coordination entities on the basis of valence bond theory.
- i) Fe(CN)6]-4 (ii) [Fe F6]-3 (iii) [Co(C2O4)3]3- (iv) [CoF6]3 -
- Explain Wemer’s theory of coordination compounds with suitable examples.
- Write the names and structures of the monomers of the following polymers
(i) Buna-S (ii) Buna-N (iii) Dacron (iv) Neoprene.
- Write the names and structures of the monomers used for getting the following polymers.
- i) Polyvinyl chloride ii) Teflon iii) Bakelite iv) Polystyrene
- Write notes on Proteins.
- Explain the structures of DNA and RNA.
- Write notes on the functions of different hormones in the body.
- Write a brief note on the structute of glcose
- Write notes on vitamins.
- What are analgesics? How are they classified? Give examples?
- What are broad spectrum and narrow spectrum antibiiotics? Give one example for each.
- Write notes on antiseptics and disinfectants.
- What are biodegradable and non-biodegradable detergents? Give one example for each.
- Write notes on the following (i) Artifical sweetening agents (ii) Food preservatives (iii) Antioxidants in food.
- Give the equations for the preparation of phenol from Cumene.
- Write the mechanism of hydration of ethene to yield ethanol.
- Compare the basicity of the following in gaseous and in aqueous state and arrange them in increasing order of basicity. CH3NH2, (CH3)2NH, (CH3)3N and NH3.
- Predic the alkenes that would be formed in the following reactions and identify the major alkene
- i) EtOH ii) 2 - Chloro - 2 – methylbutane NaOEt
- How will you carry out the following conversions?
- i) Ethane to bromomethene ii) Toluene to benzyl alcohol
- Write the reactions showing the major and minor products when chlorobenzene is reacted with CH3Cl and CH3COCl in presence of AlCl3.
- Explain how much portion of an atom locate at
- i) Corner ii) Body - centre of a cubic unit cell is part ofits neighbouring unit cell
- Calculate : (a) Molality (b) Molarity and
(c) mole fraction of KI if the density of 20% (mass/mass) aqueous KI is 1.202 g mL.
- Why is N2less reactive at room temperature?
- Why is helium used in diving apparatus?
- Why cannot vitamin C be stored in our body?
- Arrange the following in increasing order of their basic strength
- i) C2H5, NH2, C6H5NH2, NH3, C6H5CH2NH2and (C2H5)2 NH
- ii) C2H5NH2, (C2H5)2NH, (C2H5)3N, C6H5NH2
iii) CH3NH2, (CH3)2 NH, (CH3)3N, C6H5NH2, C6H5CH2NH2
- For NaCl, HCl and NaAc are 126.4, 425.9 and 91.0 S cm2mol- 1 respectively. Calculate 0 for HAc.
- The conductivity of 0.001028 mol L-1acetic acid is 4.95 x 10-5 S cm-1. Calculate its dissociation constant if 0m for acetic acid is 390.5 S cm2 mol-1.
- A solution of CuSO4is electrolysed for 10 minutes with a current of 1.5 amperes. What is the mass of copper deposited at the cathode?
VSAQ’s: (2 Marks)
- What is Schottky, defect?
- What is Frenkel defect?
- State Henry’s law.
- What are isotonic solutions?
- Write the Nernst equation for the EMF of the cell Ni(s) / Ni2+(aq) // Ag+ (aq) / Ag.
- How is Gibbs energy (G) related to the cell emf (E) mathematically?
- What is half-life of a reaction? Illustrate your answer with an example.
- What are pseudo first order reaction? Give one example.
- Give the signs of & DS, when ammonia gas gets adsorbed on charcoal.
- Which zeolite catalyst is used to cnvert alcohols directly into gasoline?
- What are micelles? Give one example.
- What is critical micelle concentration [CMC] and Kraft temperature (TK)?
- What is dialysis? How is dialysis can be made fast?
- What is coagulation?
- Why is adsorption always exothermic
- Give the signs of DH and DS , When ammonia gas gets adsorbed on charcoal.
- Define flocculation value.
- State Hardy-Schulze rule.
- What is an emulsifing agnet?
- Give the composition of the following alloys.
- i) Brass ii) Bronze iii) German Silver
- What is matte? Give its composition.
- Whatis blister copper? Why is it so called?
- What is inert pair effect?
- A mixture of Ca3P2and CaC2 is used in making Holme’s signal - Explain.
- What is tailing of mercury? How is it removed?
- Explain the reactions of Cl2with NaOH.
- Whatis aqua regia? Write its reactions with gold and platinum.
- Describe the molecular shape of I3-.
- What is mischmetall? Give its composition and uses.
- CuSO45H2O is blue in colour where as anhydrous CuSO4 is colourless. Why?
- What is ZIegler-Natta catalyst?
- What is PDI (Poly dispersity Index)?
- What is vulcanization of rubber?
- What is biodegradable polymer? Give one example of biodegradable polyester
- What do you understand by invert sugars?
- What is Zwitter ion? Give an example.
- Define the term chemotherapy?
- What are antagonists and agonists?
- What are antacids? Give example.
- What are disinfectants? Give example.
- What is tincture of iodine? What is its use?
- What are artificial sweetening agents? Give example.
- What are food preservatives? Give examples.
- How are synthetic detergents better than soaps?
- Give the reagents used for the preparation of phenol from chlorobenzene.
- Give structure of A, B and C in the following reaction
CuCN H2O/H+ NH3 , Δ
C6H5N2 Cl A B C.
- Although electron gain enthalpy of fluorine is less negative as compared to chlorine, fluorine is a stronger oxidising agent that chlorine. Why?
* * * * * * * * * * *
Chemitry -2 model paper-1
Chemitry -2 model paper-2
Chemitry -2 model paper-3
Chemitry -2 model paper-4
Chemitry -2 model paper-5